Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Good Book

Wintertime in middle Tennessee can be brutal. This week we have dropped to single digits with snow chances in the forecast. I have ran out of white oak for the flooring and plan to get more later this week so not much work is getting done on the new shop. I did pour the footings for the front and rear porches.

I have been burning wood in the new stove and the shop is very comfortable. During the day when I can catch a break I love to read a good book rather than watch T.V. This reminds me of a poster in Kelly Mehler's school that is titled "How to Build Community" which the first line says to turn off the T.V. Check it out, it makes a lot of good sense. I will sit by the wood stove and read. Some of my favorite books have always dealt with people who get off the couch and do something amazing. I have always enjoyed the story of Richard Proenneke's "One Man's Wilderness". This is an amazing true story of a guy who gave up society and built a cabin in Alaska. Another favorite is the true story of Peter Jenkins' "A Walk Across America" who travels on foot to get to know the country. If you like fiction check out "Jayber Crow" by Wendell Berry. He brings to life a fictitious town of Port William. I like the way he writes and phrases things. It brings back to life a time I wish I knew. I also love to read Stephen Ambrose books on American history including "Nothing Like it in the World" about the building of the transcontinental railroad, and my favorite "Undaunted Courage" about the Lewis and Clarke expedition.

I am always looking for good books to read and I love when people refer a good book they have read to me. This is one reason I am telling you about some of my favorites. So go pick up a good book and turn off that T.V.

5 comments:

  1. hope I get home Thurs with the snow! Orlando is not much warmer this week! Looking forward to you coming down to get white oak this weekend. Enjoy the books. I love to read too. Nothing like getting absorbed and inspired by a good book. See you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony, I talked to my parents who are vacationing in Fort Lauderdale and they said it was 45 degrees.
    Hope to see you Saturday. Have a safe trip home.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read "One Man's Wilderness" also, if you like it you should like "The Last American Man" a book about Eustace Conway. I look forward to seeing some of your chair work in future blogs. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info on the book Lee. I'll be checking that one out.
    I also read "More Readings From One Man's Wilderness" from the journals of Richard Proenneke. There are a lot of details that the first book doesn't cover. Someday I will travel to Twin Lakes to see Proenneke's cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg,
    You might like to read A Handmade Life by Wm. S. Coperthwaite

    ReplyDelete