Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cherry Onions-Nobody Wins

The sill plate timbers are complete. I cut the tenons on the 2 short side sills. I used the draw bore method for the peg. This is simply drilling the hole closer (1/8'') to the shoulder of the tenon so that when you peg the joint it will draw it tighter together. 

 The carpet dolly brought the timbers to the foundation of dry laid stone with ease.
 With the help from my friend Pete Wiens I had the timber pegged together in about 20 minutes.
 I am now ready to start the frame itself. One more trip to Indiana to cut and I'll have everything I need to finish the frame. After the frame is raised I can tap in more stones to tighten the foundation.
 I would like to leave you with a picture of the worst cherry log I ever cut. I receive lots of great logs whether it is from storms or someone taking out a tree near a house. On the rare occasion I will buy a log from a log yard in hopes of some really cool wood. This cherry log was suppose to be the one. I got a really good deal( I thought) . This log showed every sign of curly grain and a huge crotch section. After hours of cutting this beast on my mill I soon discovered it had wind shake so severe that it fell apart like an onion. I have never seen anything like it. Absolute junk. The log has now been discarded in pieces at the back of my lot. Be aware of cracks that go in circles along the growth rings at the end of a log. Wind shake. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. It looks as though you are moving right along with the timber frame. A bit of bad luck on the cherry log. Look on the warm side, you now have a good start on the firewood pile for next winter.

    ReplyDelete