Monday, March 10, 2014

Lots of Boards

I finished sawing all the poplar logs Sunday afternoon. Today I started the roof. I built a scaffolding system on the back to keep me on the roof. The front has the porch overhang which eliminates the need for scaffolding there.

I ended up with lots of boards but I still may come up short. I will know for sure tomorrow when I start covering the walls.
It took a better half of the day but here she is with the initial roof boards in place and trimmed. I had lots of visitors and good help from friends today. Tomorrow, more boards.....


4 comments:

  1. Looking good. Did you decide how you are covering the roof?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ziggy,
    I am still up in the air on this one. As much as I love the idea of a split shake roof I may not have time. But we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project. It will be intresting to see how these boards dry. I am not familar with this type of building, very old style, so I do not understand the drying process for the boards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bartee,
    Yes, this is sort of a test. My thought process was to use semi-dry boards but because of time I decided to just let the boards dry on the frame for about 6 weeks during cooler weather. I would not do this during the extreme heat of summer. I also feel quarter sawn poplar will dry fast and more stable. I am sure I'll have gaps and cracks but nothing that should be a problem. This will be covered by roofing and siding and the poplar will only be seen from inside the shed. I too will be interested how this wood behaves...stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete