Thursday, January 3, 2013

Comb Back Rocker

I learned to make this chair from Curtis Buchanan many years back at his shop. I have made more of this style than any other over the years. I have changed the carvings on the crest and the hand holds but kept most of everything else the same. It is a classic and is hard to improve. It has always been my favorite chair for comfort.

Here is a detail of the hand carving which is similar to the way a violin is carved.


 The crest is simply inspired from the volute of a violin. The simple spiral is seen in nature as an ammonite fossil. It is always a fun chair to make and has much potential for other designs with different turnings and spindle styles. I hope to have more time to play with different forms in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment