Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

I am looking forward to an exciting new year. Lots to do and learn and teach. For those of you who may not know I'll recap as to what all I do here in middle Tennessee. First of all here is a shot of my machine wood shop that most people never see. So much of what I do is in the timber frame shop but occasionally I make tables, cabinets, jigs, seat glue-ups, etc....and not being a purist I depend on these tools for these task.

 Here is the shop in its recent view with chairs in various stages of completion. This is where I spend most of my time either making hand made chairs or teaching. I also offer chair material for those who know the craft but just can't find good quality logs.
 I am still using and teaching with the lasers. It still sounds cheesy to have to use this method but ever since I came up with this it really is accurate and I find myself very comfortable using and teaching this way to drill, ream, and even find "true center" of chairs. Creating lines in space is simple and very useful. Try it and let me know what you think.
 I also teach turning which can be useful for things other than just chairmaking. I offer one and two day classes on turning. Learning to sharpen tools correctly and proper geometry is very important. I also sell turning kits for chairs if turning is not your thing. Contact me for details.
 My newest tool addition is this Jet lathe the "1642" which really is smooth and powerful. I will be up-grading my Jet tools in the near future and look forward to trying the newer technology. Notice the two tool rests that allow turning chair legs without moving the tool rest. Later I might weld these together but for now it works great.
Thanks for all those who made 2012 such a great year. This business has allowed me to meet some really interesting people and form new relationships. I look forward to 2013 and traveling the country teaching and meeting new folks. Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment